Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Questions about water safety

Here are two great questions that came to me after I sent out the first Water Safety email. Any thoughts? Also, I'd like to hear some of your suggestions for keeping cool in the summer!

#1. Good reminder Kimberly,

A quick question that I probably was told the answer to at some point and forgot....I know swimming is absolutely not allowed, but what about things like sprinklers, slip n slides, wading pools. etc......I don't think that ever came up on my jobs last summer, but those seem like "gray areas".....what's TLC policy??
~Sarah

#2. Hi Kimberly!
I know we are not allowed to take the kids swimming alone, but if a parent is there with us is it okay?
~Rachel

2 comments:

  1. I would like to know the answer to these questions too, but I would think that if the parents are there, then it's ok.

    When it's really hot, I bring balloons for making water balloons. Then we play catch!

    I got this game from 'Real Fitness' by American Girl, that I can't wait to try this summer. Play Duck, Duck, Goose in the usual way, except that the Goose is a Fish. To pick the Fish, dump a cup of water on her head! Another idea is to play tag with a thoroughly wet sponge.

    Check out Real Fitness, 101 Games and Activities to Get Girls Going! It's not just for girls, but it's by American Girl. I bought a used copy on-line for only $4 or you can check it out from the library.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitly a gray area but wading pools are the same as a swimming pool. There is depth in a wading pool making a perfect location for a drowning. A slip n slide, has a constanct flow of water making it harder to drown but depending on the length of the hill and how long in use a "pool" of water could develope at the end once again endangering a child. Sprinklers at first glance would seem like the best choice but they to can cause harm to a child and pools of water can also develope.
    If a cool down activity is needed try painting with water. Sponge brushes and plactic cups of water.
    I totally understand TLC's directive on no swimming and would never take a child to a pool but as caregivers we must understand that an accident can occur with any activity or outing.
    Before embarking on an outing or activity think about potential dangers. (ie: crossing parking lots)
    and have a plan in mind. IF the children are over age 3 review safety instructions. (ie: hold hands etc). An activity as simple as coloring could result with a crayon in the eye or stuck in the ear. Sounds funny but could happen.

    After all my years of caring for children I have learned to look at every situation as a threat to the child and to take all necessary precaution.

    ReplyDelete